Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Clarity, Balance and Boobs...OH MY!! LOL!!

I was inspired to write Sunday but I had so many thoughts running through my head that it wouldn't have did me any good to write at that moment.  I have had the chance to process everything and so I thought it was best to get writing while I still had it in my head.

My running is really changed things.  At first, it was to "help" myself  lose weight.  The running now is more of a therapeutic thing.  I do so much thinking when I am outside running.  It gives me clarity and it gives me balance and it helps calm me down.  I love the feeling of the breeze blowing through my hair and I love hearing the sounds of nature.  Those are things that I would be missing if I was still using the treadmill.  I started out running on the treadmill for a couple different reasons.  The main being that I was not comfortable with having anyone see me exercise.  That is what kept me from running outside for the longest time.

It goes back to when I was in Cross Country in High School.  I've always had bigger boobs even back then.  I found out that some of the boys were making fun of me.  I would just take it 'cause I was young and I was trying to fit in.  One of the guys I would run with would sing the "jello song" to me.  That was okay with me 'cause he wasn't sneaky about it .  I was aware of it and he wasn't meaning it in a bad way.  That was why I was just so afraid to run outside for fear people would look at me.  And even more so back then when I was heavier and started out running.  So, I stayed inside and I ran early in the morning before anyone was awake so that way I wouldn't even be seen in my own home.  I know, it's sad that I felt that way but when you go through something like that...it is forever etched on your soul.

I'm so happy that I got passed that.  Now, I just go out there and run.  I don't care what I look like.  No makeup on, who cares?  Just got out of bed hair...who cares?  Boobs too big for being a runner...who cares?  Excess skin on my thighs jiggling...who cares?  I run out there proud.  Proud that I can run, proud that I have the stamina to run long distances, proud that I have lost a ton of weight, basically proud of who I am now!

So much so, that I decided to do another race and not just any other race but a 1/2 marathon.  It was Sunday morning and I hadn't really planned on doing it.  I signed up for it on last Monday.  I'm thinking that was a good thing cause I didn't have a lot of time to stress about it.  It's amazing how "peaceful" I felt about it or so I thought!  As I drove there, I put in 3 different discs to listen to, to get me fired up and in the right frame of mind.  I walked into the Lansing Center and immediately looked for the Women's bathroom.   I needed to make sure to get that out of the way in case, there was a long wait.

As I was walking throughout the place, killing time, things started getting to me.  As much as I am proud of what I have done, I still have to deal with my own body image that I have in my head.  I was seeing a lot of women with perfect runner's bodies.  I was thinking to myself, "Who do I think I am out there running with my not so perfect body?"  I was having a hard time fighting back the tears.  I just let them flow! I knew it was going to be emotional for me being that this was my first 1/2 marathon but I thought that I would be experiencing the tears at the end of the race.  I guess I was a little backwards this time!  LOL!  I don't think my body image in my head was the reason I was brought to tears but it did have a little bit to do with it.  I think the reason I was brought to tears is that I was truly scared, once again, that I couldn't do it.


It got to be about time to line up for the start of the race.  I went out there and picked the 11:00 minute pace people to be near.  Nowheres near the pace I normally run, but I needed to be further back this time.  The congestion at the beginning of a race is one of things that I was never forewarned about.  It can be very overwhelming, to say the least.  We started out and I progressively moved forward.  I got up to the pace that I was shooting for.  I was comfortable and that was the main thing.  I wasn't setting out to win the race.  I wasn't setting out to beat my pace time from when I ran the 10 miler.  I had two goals in mind.  To run the entire time and to finish the race.

Every mile mark that I would pass, I would acknowledge it with my "yeah baby" move.  I wanted to enjoy this race even more than the 10 mile race.  I wanted it to be special and feel special and it was.  I was having the time of my life.  It's an awesome experience to be surrounded by people who share a common bond with you.  And yet, everyone's story is different as to why they were there.

I was much more comfortable with this race...with my thoughts, with myself and with how I felt.  I felt love and support all the way through the 13.1 miles.  It amazing how different a person can feel 6 weeks later.  I firmly believe that in that short amount of time that I grew even stronger as a person, if that is even possible.

I crossed the finish line and heard my name announced and thought to myself..."Holy Shit, you did it Monica!"  And all I could think about at that moment was "When can I do this again?"  Yup, I'm hooked...



Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment.”~~

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this, Monica!!! It makes me motivated to get back out and run...a little! haha, Miss you! ~Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Maureen! Run a little? There is no such word as little in Monica's vocabulary! Miss you all very much! I'm glad that you enjoy reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete