Thursday, June 2, 2011

"So shines a good deed in a weary world..."~~William Shakespeare

This blog posting has nothing to do with my weight loss or feelings or etc. today but I just felt compelled to write about what I witnessed that made my heart just melt...

I was at school today serving slushies for Field Day (was affectionately nicknamed Slushie Lady by a little fella) and was running low, big time, of blue raspberry.  The one 4th grade class that came through the line was probably the most mature set of kids that I have seen in a long time.  I explained to them how I didn't have a lot of the blue left and that we still had the one afternoon Kindergarten class left to give slushies to and so they put aside their own needs to make sure that the Kindergarten class could have a choice between the two colors.  So, after the Field Day was done and the machine was all washed up and put away for another time, I went into the office and told them about this wonderful group of kids.  I wanted to do something for them.  We have "scales" for our dragon (mascot) in the main hallway.  They are rewards and the kids love to earn "scales".  So, I got 28 scales and they let me go into their room and hand them out and say something to the kids.  I told the kids how nice it was of them to put other's needs before theirs.  I told them if they do that in life that they will go far!! 

Another instance today...I was walking out of the Pizza place tonight with my hands full.  There was a young man with special needs that had just walked in with his Mom.  He got both doors for me and probably would've opened my car door for me too, if I would've let him.  LOL! 

What I find funny, is how a bunch of young kids and a young man who is mentally handicapped can see what needs to be done in this world but yet, there are people still running around that are only out for themselves.  It restores my faith in the fact that there are still good people in this world.  I'm so glad that my parents taught me well!  So, thank you to my folks for being a fine example to live my life by!  I may have given you a few gray hairs, I may have broke curfew a few hundred times, I may have dated a questionable boy or two, but I always had good intentions!  ;-)

In a world that is changing all the time, it is nice to see my "old school" thinking is not so bad and that there are others who have that same set of core values installed in them.  I'm hip, I'm cool (ha! ha!) but this girl is still just that...A SMALL TOWN GIRL!

Our deeds follow us, and what we have been makes us what we are.”~~John Dykes

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely brings tears to my eyes! There is a lot of Good in this world. Thanks for sharing. Love you Girl! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...it just seems like the good is kind of "hidden" some days! Aww...tears in your eyes? Love you too Angie!!

    ReplyDelete